Seyyedeh Nafiseh Hassani Ph.D.
Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology
Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani is a faculty member of Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology at Royan Institute. In 2002, she received her undergraduate degree from Tehran University and in 2006 she received her master’s degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology from Khatam University. She worked on her M.Sc. thesis under supervision of Prof. Rafati at Pasteur Institute and graduated in 2005. She joined the Royan Institute in 2008 and completed her PhD in Developmental Biology under supervision of Prof. Baharvand in 2013. She is now in charge of the Biology of Pluripotent Stem Cells Research Group as well as the Production Manager for Royan Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product-Technology Development Center (ATMP-TDC). Her research areas include embryonic development, the isolation of pluripotent stem cells and the identification of their signaling pathways, the differentiation of the stem cells to the hematopoietic stem cells, as well as the creation of a cell bank under GMP standard condition. Her research has been published in more than 25 articles in international journals. In 2010, she became the leading researcher at the Royan Institute, due to innovation in the production of 150 mouse embryonic stem cells. In 2014, she won the Fifteenth Royan International Research Award, with the idea of “The Augmented BMP Pluripotency Pathway via TGF-β Suppression Maintains the Ground State of Embryonic Stem Cells self-renewal”. In 2015, her article was chosen as one of the top articles in the Second National Festival of Council for Stem Cell Science and Technologies. She has lectured at numerous international conferences and also teaches various courses, including cellular transduction, cell biology, stem cells, and developmental biology to undergraduates and Ph.D. students at the Royan Institute and University of Science and Culture.
The first priority of this group is the derivation of embryonic stem cells (ESC) and the identification of pluripotency mechanisms in different species, such as human, rodent, and chicken. Since 2002, the group had derived more than 60 human ESC and 300 rodent ESC lines. The following rows indicate the important programs of the group in this area:
- Identification of signaling pathways and mechanism of naïve and primed pluripotency in mouse and human ESC;
- Derivation and long-term maintenance of chicken pluripotent cells;
- Scale-up culture of human pluripotent stem cells (ESC and iPSC), Human Mesenchymal Stromal Cells (MSC) and Human Dermal and Foreskin Fibroblasts (HDF and HFF, respectively) in bioreactors;
- Establishment of Royan Stem Cell Bank and developing the standard quality controls for determining the quality, safety, and efficacy of derived-cell lines.
Another major scope of this research group is the study of efficient differentiation of pluripotent human stem cells toward hematopoietic stem cells for the following lineage differentiation from them.
Further, snice 2016, this group have tried to develop different cell lines, including ESC, clonal MSC, HFF, and keratinocyte from human, based on the Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) standards. The compliance of these different cell lines with GMP standards will facilitate the application of the valuable cells for regenerative medicine goals.
PhD Student :
Mahnaz BabaAhmadi (PhD Student)
Mojgan Barati (PhD Student)
Azimeh Akhlaghpour (PhD Student)
Masoumeh Zare (PhD Student)
Mehdi Soleymani-Goloujeh (PhD Candidate)
Research assistants :
- Mohammad Pakzad, Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani*, Fatemeh Abbasi, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Leila Taghiyar, Nasrin Fallah, Newsha Haghparast, Azam Samadian, Meysam Ganjibakhsh, Massimo Dominici, Hossein Baharvand. A Roadmap for the Production of a GMP-Compatible Cell Bank of Allogeneic Bone Marrow-Derived Clonal Mesenchymal Stromal Cells for Cell Therapy Applications. Stem Cell Reviews and Reports. 2022 Feb 17:1-17. doi: 10.1007/s12015-022-10351-x
- Mojgan Barati, Maryam Akhondi, Narges Sabahi Mousavi, Newsha Haghparast, Asma Ghodsi, Hossein Baharvand, Marzieh Ebrahimi, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani*. Pluripotent Stem Cells: Cancer Study, Therapy, and Vaccination. Stem Cell Reviews and Reports. 2021. 2021 Jun 11;1-18. doi: 10.1007/s12015-021-10199-7.
- Roghayeh Navabi, Babak Negahdari, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Mostafa Hajinasrollah, Yaser Jenab, Shahram Rabbani, Mohamad Pakzad, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Maryam Hezavehei, Mohammad Jafari-Atrabi, Yaser Tahamtani, Hossein Baharvand. Combined therapy of mesenchymal stem cells with a GLP-1 receptor agonist, liraglutide, on an inflammatory-mediated diabetic non-human primate model. Life Sci. 2021 Mar 18;119374. doi:10.1016/j.lfs.2021.119374.
- Simin Nafian Dehkordi, Farzaneh Khani, Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand, Hamid Reza Soleimanpour-Lichaei, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh. The Contribution of Y Chromosome Genes to Spontaneous Differentiation of Human Embryonic Stem Cells into Embryoid Bodies In Vitro. Cell J. 2021 Apr;23(1):40-50. doi: 10.22074/cellj.2021.7145. Epub 2021 Mar 1.
- Roya Ramezankhani, Shukoofeh Torabi, Neda Minaei, Hoda Madani, Siamak Rezaeiani, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Adrian P Gee, Massimo Dominici, Daniela Nascimento Silva, Hossein Baharvand, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar. Two Decades of Global Progress in Authorized Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products: An Emerging Revolution in Therapeutic Strategies. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2020 Dec 17;8:547653. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2020.547653. eCollection 2020.
- Azimeh Akhlaghpour, Adeleh Taei, Seyyed Abolghasem Ghadami, Zahra Bahadori, Saeed Yakhkeshi, Sepideh Molamohammadi, Tahereh Kiani, Azam Samadian, Zahra Ghezelayagh, Newsha Haghparat, Keynoosh Khalooghi, Thomas Braun, Hossein Baharvand, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani. Chicken Interspecies Chimerism Unveils Human Pluripotency. Stem Cell Reports. 2020 Dec 3:S2213-6711(20)30462-8. doi: 10.1016/j.stemcr.2020.11.014. Online ahead of print.
- Adeleh Taei, Tahereh Kiani, Zeinab Taghizadeh, Sharif Moradi, Azam Samadian, Sepideh Mollamohammadi, Ali Sharifi‐Zarchi, Stefan Guenther, Azimeh Akhlaghpour, Behrouz Asgari Abibeiglou, Mostafa Najar‐Asl, Razieh Karamzadeh, Keynoosh Khalooghi, Thomas Braun, Seyedeh‐Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand. Temporal activation of LRH‐1 and RAR‐γ in human pluripotent stem cells induces a functional naïve‐like state. EMBO Rep. (2020) 21: e47533. https://doi.org/10.15252/embr.201847533.
- Simin Nafian Dehkordi, Farzaneh Khani, Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand, Hamid Reza Soleimanpour-Lichaei, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh. The Contribution of Y Chromosome Genes to Spontaneous Differentiation of Human Embryonic Stem Cells into Embryoid Bodies in Vitro. Volume 23, Number 1, 2021 , Serial Number: 89.
- Banafsheh Mirzaei-Seresht, Masood Bazrgar, Masoud Sheidai, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Najmeh Sadat Masoudi, Sepideh Mollammohammadi. Chromosomal instability reducing effect of paclitaxel and lapatinib in mouse embryonic stem cells with chromosomal abnormality. Mol Biol Rep. 2020 Oct 15. doi: 10.1007/s11033-020-05903-8.
- Khadijeh Bahrehbar, Mojtaba Rezazadeh Valojerdi, Fereshteh Esfandiari, Rouhollah Fathi, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand. Human embryonic stem cell-derived mesenchymal stem cells improved premature ovarian failure. World J Stem Cells. 2020 Aug 26;12(8):857-878. doi: 10.4252/wjsc.v12.i8.857.
- Adeleh Taei, Azam Samadian, Zahra Ghezel-Ayagh, Sepideh Mollamohammadi, Sharif Moradi, Tahereh Kiani, Ehsan Janzamin, Zahra Farzaneh, Yaser Tahamtani, Thomas Braun, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand. Suppression of p38-MAPK endows endoderm propensity to human embryonic stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2020 Jun 30;527(3):811-817. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2020.04.119. Epub 2020 May 20.
- Adeleh Taei, Paniz Rasooli, Thomas Braun, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand. Signal regulators of human naïve pluripotency. Exp Cell Res. 2020 Apr 15;389(2):111924. doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2020.111924. Epub 2020 Feb 26
- Saman Firoozi, Sara Pahlavan, Mohammad-Hossein Ghanian, Shahram Rabbani, Maryam Barekat, Abdoreza Nazari, Mohammad Pakzad, Faezeh Shekari, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Fariba Moslem, Fatemeh Nobakht Lahrood, Mansoureh Soleimani, Hossein Baharvand. Mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles alone or in conjunction with a SDKP-conjugated self-assembling peptide improve a rat model of myocardial infarction. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2020 Apr 16;524(4):903-909. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2020.02.009. Epub 2020 Feb 10.
- Samaneh Poursaeid, Mohammad-Reza Kalbassi, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand. Isolation, characterization, in vitro expansion and transplantation of Caspian trout (Salmo caspius) type a spermatogonia. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2020 Apr 1;289:113341. doi: 10.1016/j.ygcen.2019.113341. Epub 2020 Jan 16.
- Sara Taleahmad, Mehdi Alikhani, Sepideh Mollamohammadi, Meisam Yousefi, Adeleh Taei, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh. Inhibition of Human Y Chromosome Gene, SRY, Promotes Naïve State of Human Pluripotent Stem Cells. J Proteome Res. 2019 Dec 6;18(12):4254-4261. doi: 10.1021/acs.jproteome.9b00396. Epub 2019 Oct 15.
- Hassan Rassouli, Mona Khalaj, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Shiva Nemati, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh, Hossein Baharvand. Gene Expression Patterns of Royan Human Embryonic Stem Cells Correlate with Their Propensity and Culture Systems. Cell J. 2019 Oct;21(3):290-299. doi: 10.22074/cellj.2019.6128. Epub 2019 May 5
- Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Sharif Moradi, Sara Taleahmad, Thomas Braun, Hossein Baharvand. Transition of inner cell mass to embryonic stem cells: mechanisms, facts, and hypotheses. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2018 Nov 12. doi: 10.1007/s00018-018-2965-y.
- Farshid Yekani, Mahnaz Azarnia, Fereshteh Esfandiari, Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand. Enhanced development of mouse single blastomeres into blastocysts via the simultaneous inhibition of TGF-β and ERK pathways in microdroplet culture. J Cell Biochem. 2018 Sep;119(9):7621-7630.
- Sara Taleahmad, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh, Hossein Baharvand. Metabolic Signature of Pluripotent Stem Cells. Cell J. 2018 Oct;20(3):388-395. doi: 10.22074/cellj.2018.5514. Epub 2018 May 15.
- Maryam Farzaneh, Masoumeh Zare, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Hossein Baharvand. Effects of Various Culture Conditions on Pluripotent Stem Cell Derivation from Chick Embryos. J Cell Biochem. 2018 Feb 2. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26761. [Epub ahead of print].
- Soura Mardpour, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Saeid Mardpour, Forough Sayahpour, Massoud Vosough, Jafar Ai, Nasser Aghdami, Amir Ali Hamidieh, Hossein Baharvand. Extracellular Vesicles Derived from Human Embryonic Stem Cell-MSCs Ameliorate Cirrhosis in Thioacetamide-Induced Chronic Liver Injury. J Cell Physiol. 2017 Dec 21. doi: 10.1002/jcp.26413. [Epub ahead of print]
- Saeed Yakhkeshi, Shaban Rahimi, Mohsen Sharafi, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Sara Taleahmad, Abdolhossein Shahverdi, Hossein Baharvand. In Vitro Improvement of Quail Primordial Germ Cell Expansion through Activation of TGF-beta Signaling Pathway. J Cell Biochem. 2017 Dec 15. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26618. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mehdi Totonchi, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Ali Sharifi-Zarchi, Natalia Tapia, Kenjiro Adachi, Julia Arand, Boris Greber, Davood Sabour, Marcos J. Araúzo-Bravo, Jörn Walter, Mohammad Pakzad, Hamid Gourabi, Hans R. Schöler, Hossein Baharvand. Blockage of the Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition Is Required for Embryonic Stem Cell Derivation. Stem Cell Reports. 2017 Oct 10;9(4):1275-1290.
- Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani, Hadi Rezaeeyan, Asma Ghodsi, Najmaldin Saki. Restoration of natural killer cell cytotoxicity in the suppressive tumor microenvironment: novel approaches to treat AML. J Hematopathol (2017). Volume 10, Issue 3–4, pp 109–116
- Sara Taleahmad, Mirzaei M, Azam Samadian, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Haynes PA, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh, Hossein Baharvand. Low Focal Adhesion Signaling Promotes Ground State Pluripotency of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells. J Proteome Res. 2017 Oct 6;16(10):3585-3595.
- Maryam Farzaneh, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Paul Mozdziak, Hossein Baharvand. Avian embryos and related cell lines: A convenient platform for recombinant proteins and vaccine production. Biotechnol J. 2017 May;12(5). doi: 10.1002/biot.201600598.
- Hadi Rezaeeyan, Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani, Mojgan Barati, Mohammad Shahjahani, Najmaldin Saki. PD-1/PD-L1 as a prognostic factor in leukemia. J Hematopathol (2017) 10: 17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12308-017-0293-z
- Hendudari F, Piryaei A, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Darbandi H, Bayat M. Combined effects of low-level laser therapy and human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell conditioned medium on viability of human dermal fibroblasts cultured in a high-glucose medium. Lasers Med Sci. 2016 May;31(4):749-57.
- Taleahmad S, Mirzaei M, Parker LM, Seyedeh-Naﬁseh Hassani, Mollamohammadi S, Sharifi-Zarchi A, Haynes PA, Baharvand H, Salekdeh GH. Proteome Analysis of Ground State Pluripotency. Sci Rep. 2015 Dec 16;5:17985. doi: 10.1038/srep17985
- Alireza Mohammadi, Farnoosh Attari, Vahab Babapour, Seyedeh-Naﬁseh Hassani, Najmehsadat Masoudi, Abdolhossein Shahverdi, Hossein Baharvand. Generation of Rat Embryonic Germ Cells via Inhibition of TGFß and MEK Pathways. Cell J. 201517(2): 288–295
- Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Mohammad Pakzad, Behrooz Asgari, Adeleh Taei, Hossein Baharvand. Suppression of transforming growth factor β signaling promotes ground state pluripotency from single blastomeres. Hum Reprod. 2014 Aug 29(8): 1739-48.
- Farnoosh Attari, Hoori Sepehri, Hassan Ansari, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Fereshteh Esfandiari, Behrooz Asgari, Abdolhossein Shahverdi. Efficient Induction of Pluripotency in Primordial Germ Cells by Dual Inhibition of TGFβ and ERK Signaling Pathways. Stem Cells Dev. 2014 May 15; 23(10): 1050-61.
- Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Mehdi Totonchi, Hamid Gourabi, Hans R. Schöler, Hossein Baharvand. Signaling Roadmap Modulating Naïve and Primed Pluripotency. Stem Cells Dev. 2014 Feb 1;23(3):193-208. doi: 10.1089/scd.2013.0368.
- Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Mehdi Totonchi, Ali Sharifi-Zarchi, Sepideh Mollamohammadi, Mohammad Pakzad, Sharif Moradi, Azam Samadian, Najmehsadat Masoudi, Shahab Mirshahvaladi, Ali Farrokhi, Boris Greber, Marcos J. Araúzo-Bravo, Davood Sabour, Mehdi Sadeghi, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh, Hamid Gourabi, Hans R. Schöler , Hossein Baharvand. Inhibition of TGFβ Signaling Promotes Ground State Pluripotency. Stem Cell Rev. 2014 Feb;10(1):16-30. doi: 10.1007/s12015-013-9473-0.
- Adeleh Taei, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Poopak Eftekhari-Yazdi, Mojtaba Rezazadeh Valojerdi, Mohsen Nokhbatolfoghahaei, Najmeh-Sadat Masoudi, Mohammad Pakzad, Hamid Gourabi, Hossein Baharvand. Enhanced generation of human embryonic stem cells from single blastomeres of fair and poor-quality cleavage embryos via inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase β and Rho-associated kinase signaling. Hum Reprod. 2013 Oct;28(10):2661-71.
- Hossein Baharvand, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani. A new chemical approach to the efficient generation of mouse embryonic stem cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;997:13-22.
- Seyedeh-Faezeh Moraveji, Farnoosh Attari, Abdolhossein Shahverdi, Houri Sepehri, Ali Farrokhi, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Hananeh Fonoudi, Nasser Aghdami, Hossein Baharvand. Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3 promotes efficient derivation of pluripotent stem cells from neonatal mouse testis. Human Reproduction. 2012 Aug;27(8):2312-24.
- Azadeh Zahabi, Ebrahim Shahbazi, Hamideh Ahmadieh, Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani, Mehdi Totonchi, Adeleh Taei, Najmeh Masoudi, Marzieh Ebrahimi, Naser Aghdami, Ali Seifinejad, F Mehrnejad, N Daftarian, Ghasem HosseiniSalekdeh, Hossein Baharvand. A New Efficient Protocol for Directed Differentiation of Retinal Pigmented Epithelial Cells from Normal and Retinal Disease Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2012 Feb 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hasani, Mehdi Totonchi, Ali Farrokhi Adeleh Taei, Mehran Rezaei Larijani, Hamid Gourabi, Hossein Baharvand. Simultaneous Suppression of TGF-β and ERK Signaling Contributes to the Highly Efficient and Reproducible Generation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells from Previously Considered Refractory and Non-permissive Strains. Stem Cell Reviews and Reports. 2012 Jun; 8(2):472-81.
- Mehran Rezaei Larijani, Ali Seifinejad, Behshad Pournasr, Vahid Hajihoseini, Seyeden-Nafiseh Hassani, Mehdi Totonchi, Maryam Yousefi, Farnaz Shamsi, Ghasem HosseiniSalekdeh, Hossein Baharvand. Long-term maintenance of undifferentiated human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells in suspension. Stem Cells Dev. 2011 Nov; 20(11):1911-23.
- Mohammad Pakzad, Mehdi Totonchi, Adeleh Taei, Ali Seifinejad, Seideh-Nafiseh Hasani, Hossein Baharvand. Presence of a ROCK inhibitor in Extracellular Matrix Supports More Undifferentiated Growth of Feeder-Free Human Embryonic and Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells upon Passaging. Stem Cell Reviews and Reports. 2010; 6(1):96-107.
- Ali Seifinejad, Adeleh Taei, Mehdi Totonchi, Hamed Vazirinasab, Seideh-Nafiseh Hassani, Nasser Aghdami, Ebrahim Shahbazi, Ghasem Hosseini Salekdeh, Hossein Baharvand. Generation of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells from a Bombay Individual: Moving Towards “Universal-Donor” Red Blood Cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2010; 391:329-34.
- Sima Rafati, Elham Gholami, Nafiseh Hassani, Fatemeh Ghaemimanesh, Yasaman Taslimi, Tahereh Taheri, Lynn Soong. Leishmania major heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) is not protective in murine models of cutaneous Leishmaniasis and stimulates strong humoral responses in cutaneous and visceral leishmaniasis patients. Vaccine. 2007; 25:4159–4169.
- Sima Rafati, Nafiseh Hassani, Yasaman Taslimi, Hesam Movassagh, Annie Rochette, and Barbara Papadopoulou. AmastinPeptide-Binding Antibodies as Biomarkers of Active Human Visceral Leishmaniasis. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology. 2006; 13:1104–1110.