Faezeh Shekari Ph.D.
Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology
Faezeh Shekari is a member of Royan Extracellular Vesicle Group. She graduated in B.Sc and M.Sc of Cellular and Molecular Biology from Tehran University. During her undergraduate studies, she got interested in proteomics. She joined Royan Institute at 2005 to pursue her interests on membrane proteomics. Toward her PhD these, she got interested in subcellular fractionation and organellar proteomics under supervision of Dr Hosseini Salekdeh and Prof. Baharvand. She performed international projects including membrane proteome analysis of liver microsomal fraction from international membrane proteomics initiative (MPI) as well as prepared and characterized standard sample for Asian and Oceania human embryonic stem cell MPI under supervision of Prof. Yu-Ju Chen (from Academia Sinica, Taiwan) and Dr. Hosseini Salekdeh and Prof. Baharvand (from Royan institute) in Academia Sinica. Currently she works as an Assistant Professor in Royan Extracellular Vesicle Group. She is also chair of ISEV Rigor and standardization task force: https://www.isev.org/
Extracellular vesicle/ proteomics and biomarker discovery/ drug delivery/
We are a newly established group with the aim to develop new extracellular vesicle based therapeutics and diagnostic. As a part of Royan Advanced Therapeutic Medicinal Products, we aim to isolate and characterized functional extracellular vesicles to be used in clinical trials. To pursue this goal we try to optimize and select best method of choice whatever ultracentrifugation based methods, size exclusion or filtration and test functionality in vitro and in vivo animal model. Furthermore, we aim to utilize well characterized vesicles as drug delivery vehicle.
Fatemeh Mehryab (PharmD)
EV-based breast cancer therapy
Afshin Davari (PhD candidate)
Nasim Eslami (PhD candidate)
MSC EV in Reproductive Biomedicine
- Shekari F, Taei A, Pan TL, Wang PW, Baharvand H, Salekdeh GH. “Identification of cytoplasmic and membrane-associated complexes in human embryonic stem cells using blue native PAGE.” Molecular bioSystems. 2011;7(9):2688-701.
- Shekari F, Baharvand H, Salekdeh GH. “Organellar proteomics of embryonic stem cells.” Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. 2014;95:215
- Hashemi A, Gharechahi J, Nematzadeh G, Shekari F, Hosseini SA, Salekdeh GH. “Twodimensional blue native/SDS-PAGE analysis of whole cell lysate protein complexes of rice
in response to salt stress.” Journal of plant physiology. 2016;200:90-101.
- Shekari F, Nezari H, Larijani MR, Han CL, Baharvand H, Chen YJ, Salekdeh GH. “ Proteome analysis of human embryonic stem cells organelles.” Journal of proteomics. 2017;162:108-18.
- Shekari F, Nezari H, Chen YJ, Baharvand H, Hosseini Salekdeh G. “Data for whole and mitochondrial proteome of human embryonic stem cells.” Data Brief. 2017;13:371-6.
- Weldemariam MM, Han CL, Shekari F, Kitata RB, Chuang CY, Hsu WT, Kuo HC, Choong WK, Sung TY, He FC, Chung MCM, Salekdeh GH, Chen YJ. Subcellular Proteome Landscape of Human Embryonic Stem Cells Revealed Missing Membrane Proteins. Journal of proteome research. 2018;17(12):4138-51.
- M Soleymani-Goloujeh, M; Saberi, S and Shekari, F*. “Extracellular Vesicles in Regenerative Medicine, a Brief Review.” Modern Medical Laboratory Journal, 2018
- Shekari F, Han CL, Lee J, Mirzaei M, Gupta V, Haynes PA, lee BH, Baharvand H, Chen YJ, Hosseini Salekdeh G. “Surface markers of Human Embryonic Stem Cells: a meta-analysis of membrane proteomics reports” Expert Rev Proteomics. 2018;15(11):911 22.
- Therry C, Witwer K,… Shekari F, …. et al. “Minimal Information for Studies of Extracellular Vesicles 2018 (MISEV2018): a position statement of the International Society for Extracellular Vesicles and update of the MISEV2014 guidelines. Journal of extracellular vesicles. 2018;7(1):1535750.
- Tasbihi M, Shekari F*, Hajjaran H, Masoori L, Hadighi R. Mitochondrial proteome profiling of Leishmania tropica. Microb Pathog. 2019;133:103542.
- Mardpour S, Ghanian MH, Sadeghi-Abandansari H, Mardpour S, Nazari A, Shekari F, and Baharvand H. “Hydrogel-Mediated Sustained Systemic Delivery of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Derived Extracellular Vesicles Improves Hepatic Regeneration in Chronic Liver Failure.” ACS applied materials & interfaces. 2019; 2019 Oct 16;11(41):37421-37433.
- Mahdavipour, M., Hassanzadeh, G., Seifali, E., Mortezaee, K., Aligholi, H., Shekari, F., … & Akbari, M. (2020). Effects of neural stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles on neuronal protection and functional recovery in the rat model of middle cerebral artery occlusion. Cell biochemistry and function, 38(4), 373-383.
- Firoozi, S; Pahlavan, S; Ghanian, MH; Rabbani, S; Barekat, M; Nazari, AR; Pakzad, M; Shekari, F; Hassani, SN; Moslem, F; Lahrood, F; Soleymani, M; Baharvand, H; “Mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles alone or in conjunction with a SDKP- conjugated self-assembling peptide improve a rat model of myocardial infarction” BBRC, 2020
- Karimi, P; Gheisari , A; Gasparini, S; Baharvand , H; Shekari, F; Satarian, L and Ader, M; “Crocetin Prevents RPE Cells from Oxidative Stress through Protection of Cellular Metabolic Function and Activation of ERK1/2” International Journal of Molecular Science, 2020
- Moradi, S; Torabi, P; Mohebbi, S; Amjadian, S; Bosma, P; Faridbod, F; Khoddami, V; Hosseini, M; Babashah, S; Ghotbaddini, M; Rasti, A; Shekari, F; Sadeghi-Abandansari, H; Kiani, J; Shamsara, M; Kazemi-Ashtiani, M; and Gholami, S; “10th Royan Institute’s International Summer School on Molecular Biomedicine: From Diagnostics to Therapeutics”, BioEssays 2020
- Seifali, Elham, Gholamreza Hassanzadeh, Marzieh Mahdavipour, Keywan Mortezaee, Ashraf Moini, Leila Satarian, Faezeh Shekari, Abdoreza Nazari, Shabnam Movassaghi, and Mohammad Akbari. “Extracellular Vesicles Derived from Human Umbilical Cord Perivascular Cells Improve Functional Recovery in Brain Ischemic Rat via the Inhibition of Apoptosis.” Iranian Biomedical Journal 24, no. 6 (2020): 347.
- Seyedrazizadeh, S. Z., Poosti, S., Nazari, A., Alikhani, M., Shekari, F., Pakdel, F., … & Baharvand, H. (2020). Extracellular vesicles derived from human ES-MSCs protect retinal ganglion cells and preserve retinal function in a rodent model of optic nerve injury. Stem cell research & therapy, 11, 1-13.
- Tasbihi, M., Shekari, F.*, Hajjaran, H., Khanmohammadi, M., & Hadighi, R. (2020). Comparative mitochondrial proteomics of Leishmania tropica clinical isolates resistant and sensitive to meglumine antimoniate. Parasitology research, 119(6), 1857-1871.
- Mehryab, F., Rabbani, S., Shahhosseini, S., Shekari, F., Fatahi, Y., Baharvand, H., & Haeri, A. (2020). Exosomes as a next-generation drug delivery system: an update on drug loading approaches, characterization, and clinical application challenges. Acta biomaterialia.
- Carolina Soekmadji, … Faezeh Shekari, … Qian Wang & Lei Zheng (2020) The future of Extracellular Vesicles as Theranostics – an ISEV meeting report, Journal of Extracellular Vesicles, 9:1
- Alikhani, M., Amjadi, F., Mirzaei, M., Wu, Y., Shekari, F., Ashrafi, M., … & Salekdeh, G. H. (2020). Proteome analysis of endometrial tissue from patients with PCOS reveals proteins predicted to impact the disease. Molecular Biology Reports, 47(11), 8763-8774.
- Shekari, F.*, Nazari, A., Kashani, S. A., Hajizadeh-Saffar, E., Lim, R., & Baharvand, H. (2021). Pre-clinical investigation of mesenchymal stromal cell-derived extracellular vesicles: a systematic review. Cytotherapy.
- Heydari, R., Abdollahpour‐Alitappeh, M., Shekari, F., & Meyfour, A. (2021). Emerging Role of Extracellular Vesicles in Biomarking the Gastrointestinal Diseases. Expert review of molecular diagnostics, 21(9), 939-962.
- Shekari, F., Jalili, S., & Rahmati, F. (2021). Isolation and Characterization of Human Blood Extracellular Vesicles: a Promising Method of Fluid Biopsy. Journal of Police Medicine, 10(2), 99-106.