Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-SaffarMD Ph.D.
Department of Regenerative Medicine
Dr. Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar is the chief responsible of Royan ATMP (Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product) development initiative. She is M.D. and Ph.D. of Medical Biotechnology, now as assistant professor at Department of Regenerative Medicine and director of Applied Cell Sciences PhD program. She joined Royan Institute in 2010, working on her thesis on co-transplantation of VEGF-expressing ESC derived mesenchymal stem cells and pancreatic islets in diabetic nude mice. She has conducted two clinical trials in the field of cell therapy for type I diabetes, after her training period in the University of California San Francisco in 2015. She has been selected as young investigator in the IPITA/JDRF/HSCI leaders meeting in Boston, 2016, and also in the Pasteur Institute of Iran research festival, 2015. Development of cell and tissue based commercial products and providing draft of local regulatory guidelines for cell and tissue based products, is her other experiences.
A) Type I Diabetes;
Diabetes cell therapy clinical trials (Human islet transplantation, Mesenchymal Stem Cell transplantation) , Diabetes translational research begins from rodent pancreatic islet processing, modification and transplantation, going forward to human islet isolation and processing, Immunotherapy methods for tolerance induction, Immunoisolation of islets, MSC exosomes.
B) Cell and tissue based products;
Design of GMP facility for cell and tissue based products, Industrial large scale cell manufacturing, cell line development and bioprocessing, Quality management, Quality assurance and control, regulatory guidelines
- Seyed-Mohammad Reza Hashemian, Rasoul Aliannejad, Morteza Zarrabi, Masoud Soleimani,Massoud Vosough, Seyedeh-Esmat Hosseini6, Hamed Hossieni, Saeid Heidari Keshel, Zeinab Naderpour,Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Elham Shajareh, Hamidreza Jamaati, Mina Soufi-Zomorrod, Naghmeh Khavandgar, Hediyeh Alemi, Aliasghar Karimi, Neda Pak, Negin Hossieni Rouzbahani,Masoumeh Nouri, Majid Sorouri, Ladan Kashani, Hoda Madani, Nasser Aghdami, Mohammad Vasei.Hossein Baharvand. Mesenchymal stem cells derived from perinatal tissues for treatment of critically ill COVID-19-induced ARDS patients: a case series. Stem Cell Research & Therapy, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13287-021-02165-4.2021
- Roghayeh Navabi , Babak Negahdari , Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar , Mostafa Hajinasrollah , Yaser Jenab , Shahram Rabbani , Mohamad Pakzad , Seyedeh-Nafiseh Hassani , Maryam Hezavehei , Mohammad Jafari-Atrabi , Yaser Tahamtani , Hossein Baharvand, Combined therapy of mesenchymal stem cells with a GLP-1 receptor agonist, liraglutide, on an inflammatory-mediated diabetic non-human primate model. Life Sciences 276 (2021) 119374
- Hajizadeh-Saffar E., Tahamtani Y., Aghdami N., Azadmanesh K., Habibi-Anbouhi M., Heremans Y., De Leu N., Heimberg H., Ravassard P., Shokrgozar M.A., Baharvand H., Inducible VEGF Expression by Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Reduces the Minimal Islet Mass Required to Reverse Diabetes. Scientific Reports, (2015) 5, 9322; (Nature Publishing Group)
- Mohsen Khosravi-Maharlooei, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar (co-first author), Yaser Tahamtani, Mohsen Basiri, Leila Montazeri, Keynoosh Khalooghi, Mohammad Kazemi Ashtiani, Ali Farrokhi, Nasser Aghdami, Mohammad-Bagher Larijani, Nico De Leu, Harry Heimberg, Xunrong Luo, Hossein Baharvand, Islet Transplantation for Type 1 Diabetes: So Close and Yet So Far away, published by “European Journal of Endocrinology ”, (2015) 173 , 165–183, (This paper has been selected to feature in the journal’s educational resource Journal Based Learning (JBL)
- Roya Ramezankhani, Shukoofeh Torabi, Neda Minaei, Hoda Madani,Siamak Rezaeiani, Seyedeh Nafiseh Hassani, Adrian P. Gee, Massimo Dominici, Daniela Nascimento Silva, Hossein Baharvand and Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar (Correspondence), Two Decades of Global Progress in Authorized Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products: An Emerging revoloution in therapeutic strategies, Cell Dev. Biol. Nov 2020. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2020.547653
- H. Haddadi, B. Negahdari, E. Hajizadeh‐Saffar (Co-correspondence), M. Khosravi‐Maharlooei, M. Basiri, H. Dabiri, H. Baharvand, Directed differentiation of regulatory T cells from naive T cells and prevention of their inflammation‐mediated instability using small molecules, Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 2020.
- Fattah Sotoodehnejadnematalahi, Reza Moghadasali,Mostafa Hajinasrollah, Ehsan Ehsani, Ensiyeh HajizadehSaffar, Niloofar Sodeifi, Reza F. Saidi, Morteza Zarrabi,MohammadFarzanehkhah, Bahareh Sadeghi, HosseinBaharvand,Nasser Aghdami, Immunomodulatory activity of human mesenchymal stem cells prolongs skin graft survival in nonhuman primates, Cell Journal, 2021, DOI: 10.22074/cellj.2021.6895
- Saghar Pahlavanneshan, Mehrdad Behmanesh, Yaser Tahamtani, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Mohsen Basiri,Hossein Baharvand, Induction of ß Cell Replication by Small Molecule Mediated Menin Inhibition and Combined PKC activation and TGF ß Inhibition as Revealed by a Refined Primary Culture Screening, Cell journal, 2022, DOI: 10.22074/cellj.2022.7437
- Leila Afshar, Hamid-Reza Aghayan, Jila Sadighi, Babak Arjmand, Seyed-Mahmoud Hashemi, Mohsen Basiri, Reza Omani Samani, Mohammad Kazemi Ashtiani, Seyed-Ali Azin, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Ehsan Shamsi Gooshki, Amir-Ali Hamidieh, Mohammad-Reza Rezania Moallem, Seyed-Mohammad Azin,Sadegh Shariatinasab, Mehdi Soleymani-Goloujeh and Hossein Baharvand, Ethics of research on stem cells and regenerative medicine: ethical guidelines in the Islamic Republic of Iran, Stem Cell Research & Therapy 396 (2020)
- Samira Gholami, Ibrahim Zarkesh, Mohammad-Hossein Ghanian, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Fateme Hassan-Aghaei, Mohammad-Masoud Mohebi, Hossein Baharvand, Dynamically Capped Hierarchically Porous Microneedles Enable Post-Fabrication Loading and Self-Regulated Transdermal Delivery of Insulin, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2020
- Faezeh Shekari, Abdoreza Nazari, Sara Assar Kashani, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Rebecca Lim, Hossein Baharvand, Preclinical investigation of mesenchymal stromal cell-derived extracellular vesicles: A systematic review, Cytotherapy, 2020
- Masumeh Kardoost, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar (Co-correspondence), Mohammad Taghi Ghorbanian, Zahra Ghezelayagh, Kamran Pooshang Bagheri, Mahdi Behdani, Mahdi Habibi-Anbouhi, Genotoxicity assessment of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) in human embryonic stem cells, Epilepsy Research, 2019 Oct. doi: 106232
- Zhila Izadi, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar (Co-correspondence), Jamshid Hadjati, Mahdi Habibi-Anbouhi, Mohammad Hossein Ghanian, Hamid Sadeghi-Abandansari, Mohammad Kazemi Ashtiani, Zakieh Samsonchi, Mohammad Raoufi, Maedeh Moazenchi, Mahmoud Izadi, Anava sadat Sadr Hashemi Nejad, Haideh Namdari, Yaser Tahamtani, Seyed Nasser Ostad, Hamid Akbari-Javar, Hossein Baharvand, 2018 Nov;182:191-201. doi: 10.1016
- Samira Gholami, Mohammad-MasoudMohebi, EnsiyehHajizadeh-Saffar, Mohammad-HosseinGhanian, IbrahimZarkesh, HosseinBaharvand, Fabrication of microporous inorganic microneedles by centrifugal casting method for transdermal extraction and delivery, IJP (2019), 299-310
- Mohammad-Hossein Haddadi, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar(Co-correspondence), Mohsen Khosravi-Maharlooei, Mohsen Basiri, Babak Negahdari, Hossein Baharvand, Autoimmunity as a target for chimeric immune receptor therapy: A new vision to therapeutic potential, Blood Reviews, (2019)
- Mohammad Azimi Alamouti, Niloufar Shayan, Maryam Momeni, Masoumeh Nouri, Azam Koohkan, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Fatemeh Soltanolizadeh, Maliheh Mahmoudi, Mahin Jamshidi Makiani, Marzieh Ebrahimi, Ivestigation on the safety of amniotic membrane extracts in improving diabetic foot ulcers (phase 1 clinical trial study), Iranian journal of diabetes and methabolism, (2019) 18(3): 126-134
- Helia Namazi, Parisa Ghiasi, Iman Namazi, Hassan Ansari, Sarah Rajabi, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Nasser Aghdami, Elham Mohit, Exosomes Secreted by Normoxic and Hypoxic Cardiosphere-derived Cells Have Anti-apoptotic Effect, IJPR (2018), 17 (1): 377-385.
- Helia Namazi, Elham Mohit, Iman Namazi, Sarah Rajabi, Azam Samadian, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Nasser Aghdami and Hossein Baharvand, Exosomes secreted by hypoxic cardiosphere-derived cells enhance tube formation and increase pro-angiogenic miRNA, Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 2018;119 (5): 4150-4160
- Bahar Saberzadeh-Ardestani, Razieh Karamzadeh, Mohsen Basiri, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar ,Aisan Farhadi,M. James Shapiro, Yaser Tahamtani, Hossein Baharvand, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Cellular and Molecular Pathophysiology at a Glance , Cell J (Yakhteh), 2018, 3, 79
- Anahita Soltanian, Zahra Ghezelayagh, Zahra Mazidi, Majid Halvaei, Soura Mardpour, Mohammad Kazemi Ashtiani, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh‐Saffar, Yaser Tahamtani, Hossein Baharvand, Generation of functional human pancreatic organoids by transplants of embryonic stem cell derivatives in a 3D‐printed tissue trapper, Journal of Cellular Physiology, 2018, doi: 10.1002/jcp.27644
- Montazeri L, Hojjati-Emami S, Bonakdar S, Tahamtani Y, Hajizadeh-Saffar E, Noori-Keshtkar M, Najar-Asl M, Ashtiani MK, Baharvand H., Improvement of islet engrafts by enhanced angiogenesis and microparticle-mediated oxygenation, (2016);89:157-65
- Habibi-Anbouhi, K. Azadmanesh, M. Behdani, E. Hajizadeh-Saffar, R. Vahabpour, M.A. Shokrgozar, Development and characterization of a new anti-peptide monoclonal antibody directed to human CD20 antigen, published by “Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals”, 2015; 7, 310-316