Faezeh Shekari Ph.D.
Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology
Faezeh Shekari is a member of Royan Extracellular Vesicle Group. She graduated in B.Sc and M.Sc of Cellular and Molecular Biology from Tehran University. During her undergraduate studies, she got interested in proteomics. She joined Royan Institute at 2005 to pursue her interests on membrane proteomics. Toward her PhD these, she got interested in subcellular fractionation and organellar proteomics under supervision of Dr Hosseini Salekdeh and Prof. Baharvand. She performed international projects including membrane proteome analysis of liver microsomal fraction from international membrane proteomics initiative (MPI) as well as prepared and characterized standard sample for Asian and Oceania human embryonic stem cell MPI under supervision of Prof. Yu-Ju Chen (from Academia Sinica, Taiwan) and Dr. Hosseini Salekdeh and Prof. Baharvand (from Royan institute) in Academia Sinica. Currently she works as an Assistant Professor in Royan Extracellular Vesicle Group. She is also chair of ISEV Rigor and standardization task force: https://www.isev.org/
Extracellular vesicle/ proteomics and biomarker discovery/ drug delivery/
We are a newly established group with the aim to develop new extracellular vesicle based therapeutics and diagnostic. As a part of Royan Advanced Therapeutic Medicinal Products, we aim to isolate and characterized functional extracellular vesicles to be used in clinical trials. To pursue this goal we try to optimize and select best method of choice whatever ultracentrifugation based methods, size exclusion or filtration and test functionality in vitro and in vivo animal model. Furthermore, we aim to utilize well characterized vesicles as drug delivery vehicle.
Fatemeh Mehryab (PharmD student)
EV-based breast cancer therapy
Afshin Davari (PhD candidate)
Abdo-Reza Nazari (MSc)
1. Shekari F, Han CL, Lee J, Mirzaei M, Gupta V, Haynes PA, lee BH, Baharvand H, Chen YJ, Hosseini Salekdeh G. “Surface markers of Human Embryonic Stem Cells: a meta-analysis of membrane proteomics reports” Expert Rev Proteomics. 2018;15(11):911-22.
2. Therry C, Witwer K,… Shekari F, …. et al. “Minimal Information for Studies of Extracellular Vesicles 2018 (MISEV2018): a position statement of the International Society for Extracellular Vesicles and update of the MISEV2014 guidelines. Journal of extracellular vesicles. 2018;7(1):1535750.
3. Tasbihi M, Shekari F*, Hajjaran H, Masoori L, Hadighi R. Mitochondrial proteome profiling of Leishmania Tropica. Microb Pathog. 2019;133:103542.
4. Mardpour S, Ghanian MH, Sadeghi-Abandansari H, Mardpour S, Nazari A, Shekari F, and Baharvand H. “Hydrogel-Mediated Sustained Systemic Delivery of Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles Improves Hepatic Regeneration in Chronic Liver Failure.” ACS applied materials & interfaces. 2019; 2019 Oct 16;11(41):37421-37433.
5. Mahdavipour, M., Hassanzadeh, G., Seifali, E., Mortezaee, K., Aligholi, H., Shekari, F., … & Akbari, M. (2020). Effects of neural stem cell‐derived extracellular vesicles on neuronal protection and functional recovery in the rat model of middle cerebral artery occlusion. Cell biochemistry and function, 38(4), 373-383.
6. Firoozi, S; Pahlavan, S; Ghanian, MH; Rabbani, S; Barekat, M; Nazari, AR; Pakzad, M; Shekari, F; Hassani, SN; Moslem, F; Lahrood, F; Soleymani, M; Baharvand, H; “Mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles alone or in conjunction with a SDKP- conjugated self-assembling peptide improve a rat model of myocardial infarction” BBRC, 2020
7. Moradi, S; Torabi, P; Mohebbi, S; Amjadian, S; Bosma, P; Faridbod, F; Khoddami, V; Hosseini, M; Babashah, S; Ghotbaddini, M; Rasti, A; Shekari, F; Sadeghi-Abandansari, H; Kiani, J; Shamsara, M; Kazemi-Ashtiani, M; and Gholami, S; “10th Royan Institute’s International Summer School on Molecular Biomedicine: From Diagnostics to Therapeutics”, BioEssays 2020
8. Seyed Razi, Z, Poosti, F; Shahpasand, K; Nazari, AR; Shekari, F, Sattarian, L; Baharvand, H. “Extracellular Vesicles derived from Human ES-MSCs Protect Retinal Ganglion Cells and Preserve Retinal Function in a Rodent Model of Optic Nerve Injury”
9. Tasbihi, M; Hajjaran, H; Masoori, L; Hadighi, R; Shekari, F*; “Comparative Mitochondrial Proteomics of Leishmania Tropica Clinical Isolates Resistant and Sensitive to Meglumine Antimonite”
10. Mehryab, F., Rabbani, S., Shahhosseini, S., Shekari, F., Fatahi, Y., Baharvand, H., & Haeri, A. (2020). Exosomes as a next-generation drug delivery system: An update on drug loading approaches, characterization, and clinical application challenges. Acta biomaterialia.
11. Soekmadji C, Li B, Huang Y, Wang H, An T, Liu C, Pan W, Chen J, Cheung L, Falcon-Perez JM, Gho YS, Holthofer HB, Le MTN, Marcilla A, O’Driscoll L, Shekari F, Shen TL, Torrecilhas AC, Yan X, Yang F, Yin H, Xiao Y, Zhao Z, Zou X, Wang Q, Zheng L. The future of Extracellular Vesicles as Theranostics – an ISEV meeting report. J Extracell Vesicles. 2020 Sep 4;9(1)