Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-SaffarMD Ph.D.
Department of Regenerative Medicine
Dr. Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar is the chief responsible of Royan ATMP (Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product) development initiative. She is M.D. and Ph.D. of Medical Biotechnology, now as assistant professor at Department of Regenerative Medicine and director of Applied Cell Sciences PhD program. She joined Royan Institute in 2010, working on her thesis on co-transplantation of VEGF-expressing ESC derived mesenchymal stem cells and pancreatic islets in diabetic nude mice. She has conducted two clinical trials in the field of cell therapy for type I diabetes, after her training period in the University of California San Francisco in 2015. She has been selected as young investigator in the IPITA/JDRF/HSCI leaders meeting in Boston, 2016, and also in the Pasteur Institute of Iran research festival, 2015. Development of cell and tissue based commercial products and providing draft of local regulatory guidelines for cell and tissue based products, is her other experiences.
A) Type I Diabetes;
Diabetes cell therapy clinical trials (Human islet transplantation, Mesenchymal Stem Cell transplantation) , Diabetes translational research begins from rodent pancreatic islet processing, modification and transplantation, going forward to human islet isolation and processing, Immunotherapy methods for tolerance induction, Immunoisolation of islets, MSC exosomes.
B) Cell and tissue based products;
Design of GMP facility for cell and tissue based products, Industrial large scale cell manufacturing, cell line development and bioprocessing, Quality management, Quality assurance and control, regulatory guidelines
- Hajizadeh-Saffar E., Tahamtani Y., Aghdami N., Azadmanesh K., Habibi-Anbouhi M., Heremans Y., De Leu N., Heimberg H., Ravassard P., Shokrgozar M.A., Baharvand H. , Inducible VEGF Expression by Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Reduces the Minimal Islet Mass Required to Reverse Diabetes. Scientific Reports, (2015) 5, 9322; (Nature Publishing Group)
- Mohsen Khosravi-Maharlooei, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar (co-first author), Yaser Tahamtani, Mohsen Basiri, Leila Montazeri, Keynoosh Khalooghi, Mohammad Kazemi Ashtiani, Ali Farrokhi, Nasser Aghdami, Mohammad-Bagher Larijani, Nico De Leu, Harry Heimberg, Xunrong Luo, Hossein Baharvand, Islet Transplantation for Type 1 Diabetes: So Close and Yet So Far away, published by “European Journal of Endocrinology ”, (2015) 173 , 165–183, (This paper has been selected to feature in the journal’s educational resource Journal Based Learning (JBL))
- Helia Namazi, Elham Mohit, Iman Namazi, Sarah Rajabi, Azam Samadian, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Nasser Aghdami and Hossein Baharvand, Exosomes secreted by hypoxic cardiosphere-derived cells enhance tube formation and increase pro-angiogenic miRNA, Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 2018;119 (5): 4150-4160
- Bahar Saberzadeh-Ardestani, , ,Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar ,Aisan Farhadi,A.M. James Shapiro, Yaser Tahamtani, Hossein Baharvand, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Cellular and Molecular Pathophysiology at a Glance , Cell J (Yakhteh), 2018, 3, 79
- Helia Namazi, Parisa Ghiasi, Iman Namazi, Hassan Ansari, Sarah Rajabi, Ensiyeh Hajizadeh-Saffar, Nasser Aghdami, Elham Mohit, Exosomes Secreted by Normoxic and Hypoxic Cardiosphere-derived Cells Have Anti-apoptotic Effect, IJPR (2018), 17 (1): 377-385.
- Montazeri L, Hojjati-Emami S, Bonakdar S, Tahamtani Y, Hajizadeh-Saffar E, , Ashtiani MK, Baharvand H., Improvement of islet engrafts by enhanced angiogenesis and microparticle-mediated oxygenation, Biomaterials. (2016);89:157-65
- M. Habibi-Anbouhi, K. Azadmanesh, M. Behdani, E. Hajizadeh-Saffar, R. Vahabpour, M.A. Shokrgozar, Development and characterization of a new anti-peptide monoclonal antibody directed to human CD20 antigen, published by “Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals”, 2015; 7, 310-316
- M. Hajizadeh Saffar*, S. Nekoee, E. Hajizadeh Saffar, A survey of annual effective and genetically significant dose from conventional X-ray examinations in 10 counties in Khorasan province-Iran, Iran. J. Radiat. Res., 2007; 5 (3): 113-118
- E. Hajizadeh-Saffar, Human cloning, future of medicine, Journal of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, 2002; 2, 45-53