Reza Moghadasali Ph.D.
Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology
Reza Moghadasali was born in 1978 in Tehran, Iran. He received his B.Sc in Biology at Tarbiat Moalem University from 1996-2000. In 2005, he received his M.Sc in the field of Developmental Biology from the Faculty of Science, Tehran University in the joint program with Royan Institute. For the next three years, he was a research assistant in the Urology and Nephrology Research Center (UNRC) at Shahid Beheshti University. In 2013, he received his Ph.D in the field of Cell Developmental Biology from the Faculty of Science, Khwarizmi University in a joint program with Royan Institute. At the same time, he performed a research fellowship at the molecular section of the department of Pharmacology and Toxicology of the Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre (RUNMC), Netherland. His major research interest is the stem cell therapy in renal diseases.
Kidney and urinary tract research group started its activities by the research charity institute support from 2012. Strategy has mainly focused on the following topics.
- Differentiation of pluripotent stem cells into renal lineages
- Identification and isolation of renal stem cells
- Cell therapy in acute and chronic renal failure
- Immunology of transplantation
- Clinical trials on the use of stem cells in ADPKD
- Understanding the mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of renal polycystic to aid to the healing process of the patients
Maryam Vahid Yeganeh, MSc
Amir Reza Ariamoghadam, PhD
Talieh Malek Shahabi, MSc
- Mansoori-Moghadam Z, Totonchi M, Hesaraki M, Aghdami N, Baharvand H, Moghadasali R. Programming of ES cells and reprogramming of fibroblasts into renal lineage-like cells. Exp Cell Res. 2019 Jun 15;379(2):225-234.
Sharifiaghdas F, Zohrabi F, Moghadasali R, Shekarchian S, Jaroughi N, Bolurieh T, Baharvand H, Aghdami N. Autologous Muscle-derived Cell Injection for Treatment of Female Stress Urinary Incontinence: A Single-Arm Clinical Trial with 24-months Follow-Up. Urol J. 2019 Apr 20.
Ranjzad F, Tara A, Basiri A, Aghdami N and Moghadasali R. Co-segregation of candidate polymorphism rs201204878 of the PKD1 gene in a large Iranian family with autosomal dominant polycystic disease. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. 2019 June 19, 1345-1349.
EhsaniShekarchian S, Baharvand H, Aghdami N and Moghadasali R. Improved differentiation of human enriched CD133+CD24+ renal progenitor cells derived from embryonic stem cell with embryonic mouse kidney-derived mesenchymal stem cells co-culture. Differentiation. Volume 109, September–October 2019, Pages 1-8.
Saidi RF, Moghadasali R, Shekarchian S. Utilization of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Kidney Transplantation: From Bench to Bedside. Iran J Kidney Dis. 2019 Jul; 13(4):213-224.
- Sharifiaghdas, F, Taheri M., Moghadasali R. Isolation of Human Adult Stem Cells from Muscle Biopsy for Future Treatment of Urinary Incontinence. Urology Journal, 2011, Vol. 8, No 1, 54-59.
- Reza Moghadasali, Henricus A.M. Mutsaers, Mahnaz Azarnia, Nasser Aghdami, Hossein Baharvand, Ruurd Torensma, Martijn J.G. Wilmer, Rosalinde Masereeuw. Mesenchymal stem cell-conditioned medium accelerates regeneration of human renal proximal tubule epithelial cells after gentamicin toxicity. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2013 Jul;65(5):595-600.
- Moghadasali R, Azarnia M, Hajinasrola M, Arghani H, Nassiri M, Molazem M, Vosough A, Mohitmafi S, Najarasl M, Ajdari Z, Salman Yazdi R, Bagheri M, Ghanaati H, Rafiei B, Gheisari Y, Baharvand H, Aghdami N. Intra-renal Arterial Injection of Autologous Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells Ameliorates Cisplatin-induced Acute Kidney Injury in a Rhesus Macaque mulatta Monkey Model. Cytotherapy Journal. 2014; 16: 734-749.
- Moghadasali R, Hajinasrollah M, Argani H, Nassiri S.M, Najarasl M, Sodeifi N, Baharvand H, Aghdami N. Autologous transplantation of mesenchymal stromal cells prevents progress of interstitial fibrosis in a Rhesus Macaque mulatta monkey model of chronic kidney disease. Cytotherapy Journal. 2015.
- Sharifiaghdas F, Tajalli F, Taheri M, Naji M, Moghadasali R, Aghdami N, Baharvand H, Azimian V, Jaroughi N. Effect of autologous muscle-derived cells in the treatment of urinary incontinence in female patients with intrinsic sphincter deficiency and epispadias: A prospective study. International Journal of Urology. 2016 Apr 8.
- Makhlough A, Shekarchian S, Moghadasali R, Einollahi B, Hosseini SE, Jaroughi N, Bolurieh T, Baharvand H, Aghdami N. Safety and tolerability of autologous bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells in ADPKD patients. Stem Cell Research & Therapy. 2017.
- Ranjzad F, Tara A, Basiri A, Aghdami N, Moghadasali R. Mutational Screening of PKD1 and PKD2 Genes in Iranian Population Diagnosed with Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease. Lab. 2017.
- Makhlough A, Shekarchian S, Moghadasali R, Einollahi B, Dastgheib M, Janbabaee G, Hosseini SE, Falah N, Abbasi F, Baharvand H, Aghdami N. Bone marrow-mesenchymal stromal cell infusion in patients with chronic kidney disease: A safety study with 18 months of follow-up. Cytotherapy. 2018 May; 20(5):660-669.
- Ranjzad F, Aghdami N, Tara A, Mohseni M, Moghadasali R, Basiri A. Identification of Three Novel Frameshift Mutations in the PKD1 Gene in Iranian Families with Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease Using Efficient Targeted Next-Generation Sequencing. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2018; 43(2):471-478.
- Alatab S, Shekarchian S, Najafi I, Moghadasali R, Ahmadbeigi N, Pourmand MR, Bolurieh T, Jaroughi N, Pourmand G, Aghdami N. Systemic Infusion of Autologous Adipose Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Peritoneal Dialysis Patients: Feasibility and Safety. Cell J. 2019 Jan; 20(4):483-495.
- Malekshahabi T, Khoshdel Rad N, Serra AL, Moghadasali R. Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease: Disrupted pathways and potential therapeutic interventions. J Cell Physiol. 2019 Jan 15.